Leslie C. Parkin
Leslie C. Parkin (1890-1988)
Leslie Parkin was born in England on 4 February 1890. He was educated for the ministry at New College in London, where James Jefferis had attended. He was ordained in 1911 and traveled to Australia, where he ministered to a parish in Victoria.
He was called to the ministry at Brougham Place in 1922 and served here for sixteen years, until 1938. During his ministry, an extensive list of improvements to the church property were made, including the establishment of a Children’s Corner, alterations to the organ console and choir seats and installation of an electric blower for the organ and the unveiling of a pair of memorial windows.
His wife, Mrs. J. Parkin, sang in the choir as a soprano while he sang bass. Mr. Parkin accepted a call to a Congregational Church in Hobart. After a further ministry in Melbourne, he returned to South Australia to take up the ministry at Angaston. He retired in 1955, but subsequently supplied the pulpit at Stow Memorial Church in Adelaide.
He died in February 1988, two days short of his ninety-eighth birthday.